Tuesday, May 5, 2009

So we had a great time in Washington. Limited and short, but definitely great! It was draining to do that much traveling in an average weekend, so it won’t become an every week kind of thing. But it’s definitely doable in the spring, summer, and early fall months for when I get stir crazy and just need to travel somewhere.

The whole trip his cousin (Ward) didn’t seem all that interested in him. However, Jesse did seem somewhat interested in his cousin and kept grabbing his face. Apparently that’s his version of a hand shake. He does it to all the babies related to him, I swear it.

We decided to be laid back and not go anywhere than around town with my sister. We took the babies to Wal-Mart, Costco, and Joanne’s fabric store. The adults went to Quizno’s and Starbucks and the grandparents watched the kids for an hour. It was fun despite it sounding rather mundane. It’s fun to just hang out with my sister.

We came home and celebrated Kim’s 16th birthday with a BBQ. My dad is essentially a SAINT for grilling steak and chicken in the pouring rain. And man can that guy GRILL. I have always been a fan of his work in the chicken and steak department; actually in any food department. We also had cheesecake and this includes the baby as well. He LOVES cheesecake! Even more than ice cream if you can imagine.

After his sugar high, we went to change him. I was goofing off and took a corner a little too sharply and accidently bonked his head. Normally a parent would assess the situation, notice any abnormal behavior and move on. Not me, I know all about an epidural hematoma, subarachnoid hemorrhage, subdural hematoma- you name it. And the recent death of the actress (Natasha Richardson???) on the bunny hill in Canada only potentiated my fear. As my sister Erin put it, “Wow, it must really suck knowing so much!” And quite honestly it does!

Of course he was fine. But I would be lying if I didn’t say I very seriously entertained the idea of taking him to the ER. The only thing that stopped me is that he showed no signs of anything abnormal. He remained his happy go-lucky self despite the first 30 second cry, was arousable when he tried to nod off, I even made sure his pupils were reactive to light and accommodating. Yea, I went overboard, but I had to make sure he was ok.

We watched a movie with the family and went to bed early. Jesse slept with us in our room (in a pack & play) and I miss him sleeping in his own room. I love not hearing those little insignificant turning over noises. Instead I was woken up constantly. It wasn’t all horrible mind you, I was glad for the frequent reassurance that he was ok. I am now, just exhausted!

The next morning we got ready to go. We loaded up the van (coming back with 3x the amount we initially brought) and had breakfast with the family. Baby Jesse was in heaven. He got to have a teething biscuit, bananas, an a little bit of a pancake. He loves big people food. It was pretty hilarious when his cousin would come by and try and take his teething biscuit.

At 10am we left Bremerton. We went straight on (after a coffee stop and gas pump) until Yakima (I guess we were trying to test our fate again) when Jesse informed us he wanted to stop at Miner’s for a burger. The rest of us had sandwiches that we made at the house prior to leaving. So we hung out in Yakima for 45 minutes because Miner’s makes the best and messiest burgers in Eastern Washington. Jesse got to crawl in the grass outside and try some French fries. He loves them.

We stopped at an AMPM on the way out and grabbed Melinda (the new driver) a Red Bull. We kept on going until Echo, Oregon because the baby was in desperate need of a diaper change. We also got gas. Then we stopped again in La Grande, Oregon because the 3 of us ladies wanted dinner (and Big Jesse wanted a sandwich- I think he got dyslexic with the food plans) and the baby was having no more of his car seat. So we stopped at McDonald’s to relax for a bit.

At McDonald’s my mom had gone in ahead of me with the baby and I went to the restroom. After I returned, my mom was ordering and the lady behind her turns to me and says, “Is that your baby?” (pointing to my mom holding Jesse) I get a proud look on my face and say “Yes.” She says, “Oh my, he looks JUST LIKE YOU! He is so adorable.” And she proceeded to flirt with him a ton more. After she picked up her to go order, she wouldn’t leave until she had properly said goodbye to him. As always, he flirted like a pro. My little ladies man.

Jesse got to be a big boy and sit in a high chair at the table. He got a few of grandma’s french fries (or are they freedom fries now?) and a bit of vanilla ice cream. He liked it a lot. Not that this will surprise many of you, but he goes a little psycho for food.

Then we packed up and headed for home. It took us longer the way back mostly because of our increased number of stops. I didn’t want to have to go to work tomorrow and be frustrated and drained. At least we got home in our timing, right?

Baby Jesse was good there and back. He took more naps on the way home and needed far less entertaining than the initial trip up. He came back with all kinds of goodies from grandma & grandpa, and his aunts. He has some new toys, a new shower/bath chair, tons of new clothes, etc. The mountains surely do take a toll on the poor kid’s ears, but it was manageable with Tylenol and bottles.

We came home to a house where the babies room, guest bathroom, and guest bedroom lights would not turn on. Jesse tried the braker but they kept flipping off. It was late and we gave in. Baby Jesse slept in out room (again) and woke up a bunch. Ughh! Luckily Jesse figured out the source the very next day. Thank goodness....

We get grandma for 4 more days and then we have to give her back. I am praying this week goes by fast. I am actually going to Fruitland part of Wednesday and Twin Falls on Thursday. Apparently I didn’t get the memo last week that when there are 5 wed/Thursdays in a month we don’t travel (period) that week. Pray that I don’t develop a nervous tick in response to traveling. Ugh! :)

Enjoy these photos from our trip:
The boys sharing a sandwich (the baby has a piece of bread) at the rest stop just outside of Baker City, Oregon. Jesse Jay isin a cool Seahawks outfit just for grandpa Ron!!
Jesse loves ice cream. He felt like such a big boy in the high chair. This was at McDonalds.
Grandpa Ron and Jesse Jay.. such hams! They both love to laugh and watch HDTV!




1 comment: