Tuesday, September 8, 2009

To Oregon and Back Again

We left for our Labor Day trip on Friday morning. We woke up around 7am. The baby and I showered as Big Jesse finished some last minute packing. We stopped at Paul's Market for breakfast burritos and were surprised to see my old Acura in the parking lot. We know it was OURS because I had a distinguishing sticker in the back window that was apparently still there. It gave us a good laugh and we are glad to see someone else getting some use out of the car.

Then we set out for the road. Baby Jesse did well but HATED being in the back by himself. So one of us rotated being in the back with him after a couple hours of the trip and he could no longer tolerate not seeing us. It'll be nice when he can be forward facing in his car seat.

We stopped in Echo, Oregon just outside of Pendleton. That place is always insanely busy at the travel center. I definately DO NOT recommend stopping there despite gas being cheaper than other places. The attendants are rude, the drivers are rude, people are impatient and try and run you over, and its crawling with pre-teens for God knows what reason. We went into the McDonalds and got the baby a Chicken Nugget Happy Meal which le loved. We didn't eat much because we werent hungry yet.

Then we drove all the way to the Dalles, Oregon. We stopped at this resturant I got aquainted with on a debate trip called Cousins, which is an old fashioned resturant with homemade pie, etc. Jesse got a burger and I went with the Clam Chowder. After lunch we went and got two boot shaped mugs (this is reminescient of my childhood and going to gramma's house). Then we took pictures of baby Jesse outside, for memories sake.

We also stopped at Multnomah Falls. That place is so beautiful. But I have never seen it full of so many people. I wish we had a backpack to carry baby Jesse up the 5+ miles, but we did not. And after being in the car for 6 hours, we couldn't muster the courage to carry him that far.

Then we drove on to Aurora/Donald Oregon. We stayed at my Uncle Luke's (and Aunt Stacey) house. They made us feel very welcome. We really enjoyed staying with them. Baby Jesse loved their little poodle, Reno. They had to go to work that evening, so Grandpa Arendt came by to keep us company and to take us to dinner. We had amazing Mexican food. My only complaint was it was TOO much food. The plates looked like garbage can lids and they were literally overflowing with food! Baby Jesse and Grandpa got more acquinted. Grandpa won him over with tickling his arm. The long trip had him drained though, and he started resting his head on the table. It was really funny!

Afterwards we went back to the house and Grandma Linda came and joined us. Pretty soon everybody was tired so they left and we went to bed.

The next morning baby Jesse woke up at 6am. Yuck. And he didnt want to go back to bed. So we pulled him from his pack & play in our room and put him in bed with us. Which to him, was just a ginormous jungle gym. He bounced around everywhere and played a game of peek a boo with me and a blanket. He is so funny. We had a couple hours before we had any plans so we watched the Lion King, which Jesse seemed to really like.

Then we went and visited Grandma Judy and Pop. They have a beautiful rustic farm that to this day I love to visit and explore. As a child it was almost better than Disneyland. They have all kinds of animals, a barn, a huge garden, tons of flowers, and a swing attached to a tree in their front yard. Everything you imagine a grandparents house being. And Grandma Judy is always cooking SOMETHING. So you never can leave her house hungry. She made us all breakfast and they got to play with their great grandson. Baby Jesse took to them quite well too, after some initial hesitation.

Then my mom and Dad showed up with Kim and baby Ward. So it was a BIG get together. The kids got to explore grandma and grandpa's garden and barn. I HAD to get a photo of pop and Jesse Jay on his tractor. After a long while of visiting, we went back to my Uncle & Aunts house to spend time with them. It was great, because we'd have long, deep talks. I just LOVE that when it happens.

Then for dinner Granma & Grandpa Arendt, my parents, Kim & Baby Ward joined us at my Uncles for dinner. After dinner my grandparents, Kim, us, and my Aunt & Uncle played Dirty Minds. That game is impossible to play when you're tired. It's also impossible to say such suggestive things to your grandparents :) But it really is just a game of riddles.

The next day we had breakfast at the house, which Uncle Luke & Aunt Stacey made. For lunch we meet the WHOLE family at my dad's cousins house for a BBQ. It was delicious. We saw so many relatives: aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, great aunts & uncles, grandparents. It was neat. They took lots of photos of my dad's immediate family because its been a long time since the whole family was together. I was so glad so many in the family got to meet our pride & joy. I love these get togethers. For the most part everyone is just as loud and outgoing as I am. Everyone is teasong one another and laughing. It's a good time, and I miss it when I cant make it to these get togethers.

Afterwards we took naps as we were all exhausted. Uncle Luke and Aunt Stacey made us dinner and we sat and talked some more. It was fun. Then we went to bed.

Monday came too soon. We woke up at 7am and packed up our things. On our way out we stopped by to see Grandma Judy and Pop one last time. They loaded us up with farm fresh eggs, grandmas jam, pickles, and some juice. In my family, grandma's pickles are highly coveted. Big Jesse got her recipe and has been canning like crazy. I am excited to have our own grandma's pickles. But it doesnt hurt to have a few more. :)

The drive back seemed to take forever. There were a ton of cops along I-84. Thank God for my cars cruise control! But we got home safe and sound. We were home at 6pm. I had a couple hours to relax before I had to worry about work the next day. We even were able to unpack a few things before bed. Usually we get home late and we are exhausted and NOTHING gets unpacked, so this is a huge improvement.

Overall we all loved our trip and were so grateful to spend time with family. We only wish it could've been longer so we could've seen MORE family in Oregon. It was a much needed vacation. Now, I just need to catch up a little on rest because all that traveling and little sleep, has led to absolute exhaustion! :)

Oh, and Sarah- No, I didnt go to Ikea. It wouldn't have opened for another hour and we really wanted to get home. Sad, huh? From now on, we stop at Ikea FIRST ;)

No comments: