Monday, November 2, 2009

There Were 12 and Soon There Will Be 11.....

Today I was in the operating room. In the middle of our last case my cell phone goes off. I tell the nurse that she can silence it, I will call whoever it is back in a few moments after we are done. I finish suturing, turn the patient and grab my phone as I head to the locker room to get changed. I see my sister-in-law had called. Odd because she usually doesn't call me when I just got off the phone with her 20 minutes before and she usually texts me.

So I call back and find out she is taking baby Jesse to our (fantastic, saint-of-a) dentist Dr. Mike Cunnington. Not only is he a great dentist, but he is just down the road from our house. He came in after closing the office secondary to a power outage just to check our pride and joy.

Jesse is now walking and he still is unsteady and toddles. He thinks he is a FANTASTIC walker and thinks he should run and stand too quickly, and all that jazz. So when he was at Sarah's today he was sitting next to the step. He had a toy in his mouth and when he went to stand he fell forward, knocking his left front tooth backwards.

I'm really proud of my sister-in-law for having the calmness, intelligence, and good sense to call the dentist. She couldn't get a hold of either Jesse, nor I. Nor her husband. And she is a first time mom herself. Go Sarah!!

Well Dr. Mike came in to see him emergently. Sarah had to hold him down so he could look. And he says that the tooth will likely need to be pulled. He gave Sarah his cell phone AND home number and told her to have me call when I got home. I got there about 10 minutes after Sarah got back home and called.

The baby needs to see Dr. Loveland, a pediatric specialist tomorrow. Dr. Mike said he needs to have it pulled and possibly an x-ray to evaluate his adult tooth and to see if he fractured his pre-maxillary bone (I had never heard of this). But meanwhile should we have any questions or concerns we shouldn't hesitate to call him AT HOME. What a guy, right? And he wants us to let him know how everything goes tomorrow regardless.

So tomorrow morning Jesse (husband) and his sister Sarah are taking the baby in first thing in the morning. Little guy is doing well. He is mad because we won't give him his pacifier. Dr. Mike said the constant suction will likely increase his swelling and cause more pain. So only Ibuprofen, prayer, and rocking him the best we can.

Otherwise he is a happy boy, playing with his toys and running around like nothing ever happened to him. If it wasn't for the overwhelming (to me and my heightened sense of smell) smell of blood, you'd swear nothing significant happened to him. And the tooth DOES look pretty gnarley. He'll think it's a really cool story someday, I am sure.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I LOVE Dr. Cunnington!!

Jennifer said...

Take a picture! For me! (And posterity I guess.)

Also, hilariously, my security word is "antic" - ha!